1. Best recent art experience?
Putting two separate paintings together making one splendid painting, totally random, it’s like I didn’t do it, I love surprises.
2. Most used art material?
Charcoal sketches before painting.
3. Favourite colour?
4. Most embarrassing artwork story?
I lost a painting off my roof rack on the way to the Blake Prize, grabbed it with my hand and still managed to steer the car on the motorway.
4. What can't you live without?
My two boys, Lynne, music, laughter, nature – painting is in the mix!
5. What are you currently working on?
2 shows at once, I’m saying yes to anything that values me and my work.
6. What do you hate?
Hating, hate is a waste of time – it releases bad chemicals into your body, I prefer to hide.
7. Favourite artist or art movement?
Hockney, Nolan, Matisse.
8. Your biggest art influence?
9. If you could have one painting on your wall, what would it be?
Picasso’s lady with a fan, Nolan’s riverbend – I want two!
10. Favourite music album?
Radiohead - OK computer.
11. Favourite quote?
Don’t eat anything bigger than your head!
12. What one piece of advice would you give your younger self?
Don’t listen to advice from anyone, especially me!
Browse and shop art by Phil Stallard on our website here. Peruse the digital exhibition catalogue for 'Even Seahorses Get the Bends', Phil Stallards current exhibition at CHG here.